From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 13:54:40
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 09:00:29AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 18:34 +0300, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 >>> Patrick McLean schrieb:
5 >>>> I have absolutely zero experience with catalyst, but couldn't it be made
6 >>>> to create a source CD ISO when it is generating the binary one? Just
7 >>>> make a cd with all the distfiles used in the ISO, and keep the source
8 >>>> ISO with the binary one in /historical.
9 >>> Creating an ISO isn't a problem (assuming you have the sources, which
10 >>> for historical releases might be a problem), but it would require
11 >>> another several hundred megabytes per release on the mirrors which isn't
12 >>> exactly a trivial amount.
13 >> No, it would almost double the space used by the release. Current
14 >> releases use about 12-14G of space. Doubling that would mean reducing
15 >> the amount of stuff we're allowed to distribute dramatically,
16 >> essentially crippling our release capabilities.
17 >
18 > Stupid question, but the master mirroring setup actually holds onto
19 > files after it moves them off of the gentoo mirror tier- purgatory
20 > dir.
21 >
22 > Why not just make that dir accessible via web/torrent/whatever on
23 > a seperate server? Abusing osprey for it is a bit much (mainly infra
24 > has asked to wipe files from the purgatory dir in the past, which is a
25 > no go), so seperate probably is wise.
26
27 No way in hell are we running such a service on the master mirror. I
28 don't see why we need to have a public system setup as long as we can
29 provide the source when asked. As far as a I know, the GPL doesn't
30 dicate that we have to provide the sources in an internet media form.
31 They just need to be available when requested. Perhaps we can have a
32 document that explains a process for getting said sources. I don't see
33 the point of creating a torrent/whatever system just for the rare
34 instances that people want the older source. Way too much overhead for
35 something I don't see being used much.
36
37 If it gets to be used more, then we can possibly think about making a
38 system, but I don't think it warrants it right off. We haven't gotten a
39 request for old sources (from my memory) ever.
40
41 > Further filtering of the files to those under gpl (pulled from pkg
42 > metadata) is doable, just would need to mangle mirror-dist a bit to
43 > maintain long term info about who owned what (instead of it's current
44 > "out of sight, out of the db" approach).
45 >
46 > Just a thought- machinery is mostly there, might as well abuse it.
47
48 A lot of the stuff that's currently in the purgatory area also includes
49 sources for stuff we didn't make (upstream sources, etc). If you can
50 separate those files from Gentoo specific files, then it would be much
51 easier to manag (from an admin point of view). Its not practical to
52 assume we have an infinite amount of space.
55 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
56 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
57
58 ---
59 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
60 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
61
62 ramereth/irc.freenode.net