From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 04:28:40
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 08:50:58PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Wednesday 24 August 2005 08:04 pm, Brian Harring wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Again, returning to the USE="-*" arguement, yes, they can go that
7 >>>route. It's also kind of a crappy arguement dodging out of the fact that
8 >>>progressive bloat going into what is effectively a base release
9 >>>profile, when subprofiles would be better suited.
10 >>
11 >>not sure what you mean by 'progressive bloat' ... most of those flags have
12 >>been there since before i was a dev (so like before the 1.2 release)
13 >>
14 >>the default profile has always been a 'desktop' target and really i think
15 >>that's OK by me
16 >
17 > Reasons against sticking a level of indirection in?
18 > More then willing to assume I've been a tool and missed it, but with
19 > cascaded profiles there really isn't a good arguement against tagging
20 > a level in so that anyone after it can just use minimal, or derive a
21 > server profile off of it.
22
23 Generally the hardened profile has been considered the most 'server'
24 based profile we have. Granted, if you don't want the extra goodies you
25 get with a hardened system, that is an issue, but this is one option we
26 have. I look at their profile as a great model for the server end of things.
29 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
30 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
31
32 ---
33 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
34 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
35
36 ramereth/irc.freenode.net