From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] General Request
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:30:24
1 On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 11:20:36PM +0000, Robert Melton wrote:
2 > I am a rabid slackware user, but Gentoo really caught my eye, and I am going
3 > to try it inside of a week.
4 >
5 > I wish I could have found more details on gentoo.org about directory
6 > structure, package systems, compatiblility for building applications(will
7 > building things be a pain in the ass?) and an array of other things, also --
8 > I would love to see a possible release date up anywhere.
9 >
10 > These are just some general requests coming from the point of view of a
11 > _totally_ new user who just stumbled onto your site.
12 >
13 > By the way -- the direction you are taking this distro seems great!
14
15 Thanks for the suggestions, and I hope you'll like Gentoo Linux. If possible,
16 try to wait for a little bit and grab Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc5 -- it'll make your
17 life a lot easier. The problem with a release date is that a lot of the time,
18 it depends on how busy we are at our "real" jobs... but I continue to hope that
19 1.0_rc5 will be out sometime in April. We haven't had a new release for a while,
20 and right now 1.0_rc4_pre2 is a bit dated.
21
22 Best Regards,
25 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
26 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org