From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:17:50
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:33:44 +0100
3 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
4 >> That sounds like an implementation detail that you could solve by
5 >> using something else than a flat file database for metadata if
6 >> open()/read() calls are the slow part.
7 >
8 > Metadata's shipped with the tree. It's a PMS detail.
9 >
10 > If we didn't care about package manager performance, we wouldn't be
11 > shipping metadata with the tree at all...
12 >
13 >>>> I would be very surprised if that "2 times" factor happens to be
14 >>>> true, because finding a string in a file is an order of magnitude
15 >>>> simpler than sourcing said file with bash. Moreover this doesn't
16 >>>> take into account disk and os cache.
17 >>> No no no. *Opening* the file is the slow part, not searching. The
18 >>> file wouldn't otherwise be opened at all.
19 >> Thus the only drawback is when you open a file, see there that you
20 >> can't handle the eapi, then close it and open an older one.
21 >
22 > Uh. No. The drawback is that you're opening around ten thousand files
23 > that would otherwise not be opened. That's a huge cost.
26 Huge cost...
27
28 emerge -uDp world (cold os cache)
29
30 real 1m10.353s
31 user 0m17.077s
32 sys 0m0.440s
33
34 with eapitool getting the eapi before sourcing.
35
36 real 1m10.636s
37 user 0m16.941s
38 sys 0m0.368s
39
40 cold cache, no metadata available
41
42 real 6m23.106s
43 user 3m32.141s
44 sys 1m50.855s
45
46 with eapitool
47
48 real 6m26.564s
49 user 3m31.853s
50 sys 1m50.511s
53 I'd rather see more people backing their ideas with numbers...
54
55 lu
59 Luca Barbato
60 Gentoo Council Member