From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:32:31
1 On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:33:44 +0100
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > That sounds like an implementation detail that you could solve by
4 > using something else than a flat file database for metadata if
5 > open()/read() calls are the slow part.
6
7 Metadata's shipped with the tree. It's a PMS detail.
8
9 If we didn't care about package manager performance, we wouldn't be
10 shipping metadata with the tree at all...
11
12 > > > I would be very surprised if that "2 times" factor happens to be
13 > > > true, because finding a string in a file is an order of magnitude
14 > > > simpler than sourcing said file with bash. Moreover this doesn't
15 > > > take into account disk and os cache.
16 > >
17 > > No no no. *Opening* the file is the slow part, not searching. The
18 > > file wouldn't otherwise be opened at all.
19 >
20 > Thus the only drawback is when you open a file, see there that you
21 > can't handle the eapi, then close it and open an older one.
22
23 Uh. No. The drawback is that you're opening around ten thousand files
24 that would otherwise not be opened. That's a huge cost.
27 Ciaran McCreesh