From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] explicit -r0 in ebuild filename
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:56:08
1 On Sunday 30 March 2008, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > those arent the same thing. -r# is a Gentoo-specific revision
4 > > marking. _alpha/_rc/etc... are used to track upstream. if upstream
5 > > uses _alpha0, then it makes our lives easier to also use _alpha0.
6 > > -r0 has no benefit and it isnt inconsistent as that portion of the
7 > > version is for Gentoo use only.
8 >
9 > Every other part allows the magic 0 behaviour. Banning it for one part
10 > only is another one of those 'special case' rules we're trying to avoid
11 > because no-one knows them.
12
13 i dont particularly care about -r0, i'm just stating that banning
14 _alpha0/etc... is not acceptable. besides, enforcing no -r0 in the tree is
15 easy to do with a server side hook.
16 -mike