From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] explicit -r0 in ebuild filename
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:42:15
1 On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 02:59:39PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 30 March 2008, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > those arent the same thing. -r# is a Gentoo-specific revision
5 > > > marking. _alpha/_rc/etc... are used to track upstream. if upstream
6 > > > uses _alpha0, then it makes our lives easier to also use _alpha0.
7 > > > -r0 has no benefit and it isnt inconsistent as that portion of the
8 > > > version is for Gentoo use only.
9 > >
10 > > Every other part allows the magic 0 behaviour. Banning it for one part
11 > > only is another one of those 'special case' rules we're trying to avoid
12 > > because no-one knows them.
13 >
14 > i dont particularly care about -r0, i'm just stating that banning
15 > _alpha0/etc... is not acceptable.
16
17 Lay out your reasons please; the meaning doesn't differ (same version
18 due to implicit 0 after all), and as I've pointed out an extreme
19 minority are affected. Basically, looking to lock it down from a
20 consistancy standpoint- in light of that, and that 15 ebuilds are
21 affected out of ~24242, it's not seeming like it's losing much.
22
23 ~harring