From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Contributed ebuilds and copyright questions
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:24:01
1 On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2016, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Also, calling eclass functions could be considered linking. It is not
5 >>> entirely clear to me if e.g. a binpkg built with a CDDL licensed
6 >>> ebuild calling GPL licensed eclasses would be distributable at all.
7 >
8 >> Honestly, I think the GPL linking argument is a difficult one at best,
9 >> but setting that aside I think it is even harder to consider calling a
10 >> function in an interpreted language "linking." Is it a violation of
11 >> the GPL to execute a GPL binary from a bash script that is
12 >> GPL-incompatible? Heck, is it a violation of the other license for
13 >> the GPL bash interpreter to read and execute the non-GPL lines in the
14 >> script?
15 >
16 > Generally, the user can execute any combination of such functions on
17 > his system, without violating their licenses. The question is if a
18 > combined work containing parts of the ebuild and of the eclass can be
19 > distributed.
20
21 Sure, I'll buy that much.
22
23 > Now a Gentoo binary package contains an xpak part, which in turn
24 > contains a file named environment.bz2 where you will find functions
25 > originating both from the ebuild and from its inherited eclasses.
26
27 Sure, and I wasn't really speaking to the ability to redistribute
28 binary packages. I was concerned more with the ebuilds themselves,
29 and the on-disk packages.
30
31 However, other distros do actually consider their binary packages to
32 be combinations of incompatible licenses in some cases, and they argue
33 that this is mere aggregation. In this case we're talking about
34 aggregating ebuild and eclass functions and that is probably a step
35 further down the line from what other distros are likely doing.
36
37 > Certainly the xpak is a derived work of ebuild _and_ eclasses, so for
38 > distributing the binpkg both CDDL (to come back to the original
39 > example) and GPL-2 would have to be honoured. Which is not possible
40 > because these two licenses are incompatible.
41
42 Maybe. They're aggregated, but whether this prevents redistribution
43 is another matter. You could provide the source for the whole, and
44 tell the recipient that the various functions in the package are
45 redistributable under their original licenses. It is trivial to split
46 an environment file back into its component functions.
47
48 Again, I wasn't really considering binary packages and I tend to agree
49 that mixed licenses do complicate this situation.
52 Rich