From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Contributed ebuilds and copyright questions
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:54:06
1 >>>>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2016, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 >> Also, calling eclass functions could be considered linking. It is not
4 >> entirely clear to me if e.g. a binpkg built with a CDDL licensed
5 >> ebuild calling GPL licensed eclasses would be distributable at all.
6
7 > Honestly, I think the GPL linking argument is a difficult one at best,
8 > but setting that aside I think it is even harder to consider calling a
9 > function in an interpreted language "linking." Is it a violation of
10 > the GPL to execute a GPL binary from a bash script that is
11 > GPL-incompatible? Heck, is it a violation of the other license for
12 > the GPL bash interpreter to read and execute the non-GPL lines in the
13 > script?
14
15 Generally, the user can execute any combination of such functions on
16 his system, without violating their licenses. The question is if a
17 combined work containing parts of the ebuild and of the eclass can be
18 distributed.
19
20 Now a Gentoo binary package contains an xpak part, which in turn
21 contains a file named environment.bz2 where you will find functions
22 originating both from the ebuild and from its inherited eclasses.
23 Certainly the xpak is a derived work of ebuild _and_ eclasses, so for
24 distributing the binpkg both CDDL (to come back to the original
25 example) and GPL-2 would have to be honoured. Which is not possible
26 because these two licenses are incompatible.
27
28 Ulrich