From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Contributed ebuilds and copyright questions
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 13:17:17
1 On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Also, calling eclass functions could be considered linking. It is not
4 > entirely clear to me if e.g. a binpkg built with a CDDL licensed
5 > ebuild calling GPL licensed eclasses would be distributable at all.
6
7 Honestly, I think the GPL linking argument is a difficult one at best,
8 but setting that aside I think it is even harder to consider calling a
9 function in an interpreted language "linking." Is it a violation of
10 the GPL to execute a GPL binary from a bash script that is
11 GPL-incompatible? Heck, is it a violation of the other license for
12 the GPL bash interpreter to read and execute the non-GPL lines in the
13 script?
14
15 To me linking and word processing are actually on a continuum and I
16 think it is hard to draw a line and say that the GPL prohibits one and
17 not the other, but if you are going to try to draw a line I think
18 interpreted languages are going to fall on the safe side of it.
19
20 I guess it comes down to what are the essential elements of linking
21 that leads one to believe that it constitutes a violation of copyright
22 to do it without explicit permission? If there is agreement on that
23 (which I think is harder to achieve than some seem to think), then the
24 question becomes whether calling a function in an interpreted language
25 contains those elements.
28 > So can we be strict there, please? Contributed ebuilds should have our
29 > standard copyright header, or they will be rejected.
32 Certainly this is the current policy. The draft policy envisions a
33 table of licenses for each project, and we of course can make that
34 table as restrictive or free as desired. I do think it makes sense to
35 whitelist licenses individually by project for the very sorts of
36 reasons that you bring up.
39 Rich