From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Contributed ebuilds and copyright questions
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 12:55:10
1 >>>>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2016, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > If they were under a non-compatible license like the CDDL then it
4 > would depend on whether the authors have the right to dual-license
5 > it under the GPL, or whether Gentoo is willing to accept
6 > CDDL-licensed ebuilds into the repository. Part of the draft policy
7 > is that every Gentoo project/repository have a list of accepted
8 > licenses. Off the top of my head I can't think of any issues with
9 > allowing incompatible but similar copyleft licenses into the main
10 > tree.
11
12 Having different licenses for ebuilds in the main tree would be a
13 nightmare, IMHO. It would make exchange of code between different
14 ebuilds much harder, if not impossible. Think of global issues like
15 the multilib conversion where similar code is used in many places.
16
17 Also, calling eclass functions could be considered linking. It is not
18 entirely clear to me if e.g. a binpkg built with a CDDL licensed
19 ebuild calling GPL licensed eclasses would be distributable at all.
20
21 So can we be strict there, please? Contributed ebuilds should have our
22 standard copyright header, or they will be rejected.
23
24 Ulrich