From: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
To: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <gentoo@×××.name>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, vim@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] NeoVim and vim-syntax
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 14:17:20
1 Hi Vadim and thank for your email.
2
3 Sorry for taking so long to respond, been busy with work, life, etc.
4
5 Thursday 01 Jun 2017 02:32:24, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote :
6 > Currently, we have a situation, that there are two Vim's: "old" one (vim8) and
7 > NeoVim (for those who do not know: a fork of Vim with much and much more clean
8 > code, many neat features and so on).
9 Vim8 is here to stay and has served us well until now. Calling him "old" is
10 unfair. :)
11
12 To be honest, I haven't given NeoVim a try yet (should I?).
13 >
14 > Unfortunately, both of them have different runtimedirs: XDG ones for NeoVim
15 > and the ones you know for Vim8, while NeoVim is fully compatible with Vim's
16 > plugins, and epecially with vimscripts (like syntax definitions and ftdetect
17 > scripts).
18 ACK. I have one question though: will this retrocompatibility last forever?
21 > On the other side, we have a bunch of packages in the portage tree, that have
22 > "vim syntax" support (use-flags, or direct vim-syntax packages), or even vim-
23 > plugins.
24 > All of them goes to `/usr/share/vim/vimfiles`, while correct path for NeoVim
25 > would be `/usr/share/nvim/site` (does not exist at the moment, but nvim checks
26 > for it).
27 That's good to know.
28 >
29 > So, that situation leads to impossibility to get all of that syntax definitions
30 > and plugins when user uses NeoVim.
31 >
32 > As I said above, NeoVim supports Vim's plugins/scripts very well (although I
33 > didn't find any evidence of the opposite), so it is possible to fix that
34 > situation by many of "kludge" ways, including:
35 >
36 > - implementing "nvim-syntax" (and `app-nvim/*`?) and duplicate all the
37 > installed files
38 This sounds like a lot of duplicate work for very little gain.
39 >
40 > - patching NeoVim source to include Vim's runtimedirs (incl. "after" dir),
41 > // NeoVim upstream highly disagree with such way, if any
42 Very appealing.
43
44 Why is NeoVim upstream against this solution by the way? Truth to be told, we
45 can have it our way and patch NeoVim so that it behaves however we like.
46 >
47 > - patching VIMRUNTIME environment variable,
48 Who would need patching in this case: NeoVim or Vim8?
49 >
50 > - making a wrapper,
51 A good approach as well. Will need a bit of maintainenance.
52 >
53 > - rewrite all the existing ebuilds to take nvim into account and force all
54 > newcomers to also take it,
55 Too much work.
56 >
57 > - symlinking a directory,
58 > // mostly bad way, since opposite plugin compatibility is not garanteed and
59 > users can install nvim-only plugins in the future
60 idea--
61 >
62 > - making postinst hook to regenerate content of NeoVim's site-directory
63 > (maybe, by symlinking installed vim modules there)
64 Ew.
65 >
66 > or even:
67 >
68 > - making eselect module for user to rule that.
69 >
70 > Although, talking on eselect module, I've two visions of the situation:
71 > a) it can be something like bashcomp module, where users can select which of
72 > installed vim modules they want to "enable" in NeoVim
73 > or (better, imo) way:
74 > b) it can be something like php module, where portage installs all the stuff
75 > in the location neither available to Vim nor NeoVim, and users selects which
76 > modules they enable for either implementation.
77 >
78 > Module can be called something like "eselect-vim" or "eselect-vim-modules"
79 > (?), if any.
80 To be honest, the eselect idea looks very convoluted. Why?
81
82 Please correct me if I'm wrong but by design, most, of not all, modules can be
83 enabled or disabled via the .vimrc file. It only takes a single line in your
84 personal .vimrc file if you wish a module not to load at runtime. I fail to see
85 the added value of an eselect module for solving a task Vim already handles
86 very well.
89 > For now, I have preview of neither of eselect module variants, nor even
90 > patches for another "ways". I'd very like to discuss the situation and find a
91 > better of possible solution first.
92 > Maybe, when (if?) we found such a solution, I'd contribute a PR with it on GH.
93 >
94 > --
95 > wbr,
96 > mva
97
98 So here you have it. I'm fine with knocking together a wrapper or patching
99 NeoVim sources. Do you think it's a big deal to put NeoVim modules in the
100 app-vim category? It makes more sense to me to keep everything under the same
101 umbrella.
102
103 Cheers
104 --