From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <gentoo@×××.name>, vim@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] NeoVim and vim-syntax
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 21:40:00
1 On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 04:17:10PM +0200, Patrice Clement wrote:
2 > Hi Vadim and thank for your email.
3 >
4 > Sorry for taking so long to respond, been busy with work, life, etc.
5 >
6 > Thursday 01 Jun 2017 02:32:24, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote :
7 > > Currently, we have a situation, that there are two Vim's: "old" one (vim8) and
8 > > NeoVim (for those who do not know: a fork of Vim with much and much more clean
9 > > code, many neat features and so on).
10 > Vim8 is here to stay and has served us well until now. Calling him "old" is
11 > unfair. :)
12 >
13 > To be honest, I haven't given NeoVim a try yet (should I?).
14 > >
15 > > Unfortunately, both of them have different runtimedirs: XDG ones for NeoVim
16 > > and the ones you know for Vim8, while NeoVim is fully compatible with Vim's
17 > > plugins, and epecially with vimscripts (like syntax definitions and ftdetect
18 > > scripts).
19 > ACK. I have one question though: will this retrocompatibility last forever?
20
21 If we aren't sure that compatibility will go both ways forever, e.g.
22 neovim will always support vim8 files and vim8 will always support
23 neovim files, I do not recommend making them both use the same runtime
24 directory. I imagine upstream neovim set a different runtime directory
25 so that if they diverge things won't break, and I wouldn't try to merge
26 the runtime directories.
27
28 William