From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: use of the /run directory
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 21:01:23
1 2011/5/18 Olivier Crête <tester@g.o>:
2 > On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 23:20 +0300, Panagiotis Christopoulos wrote:
3 >> Yes, I can do that. But the real question here, from my perspective, is
4 >> why we need /run, /var/run or /tmp on tmpfs. "Other distros do it" is
5 >> not an answer.
6 >
7 > The main reason is that you want /run to be writable super early in the
8 > boot process, before even / has been fscked and re-mounted. That means
9 > you can do stuff like starting udevd in parallel with fsck of / which
10 > means faster boot. This is one of the things required to get 1 second
11 > boot.
12 >
13 > See http://lwn.net/Articles/436012/
16 Related is that you don't need to manually wipe /tmp /var/run
17 /var/lock via a service. They're automatically wiped when you reboot.
18 This saves time during bootup.
22 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
23
24 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team