From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: use of the /run directory
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 20:55:32
1 On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 23:20 +0300, Panagiotis Christopoulos wrote:
2 > Yes, I can do that. But the real question here, from my perspective, is
3 > why we need /run, /var/run or /tmp on tmpfs. "Other distros do it" is
4 > not an answer.
5
6 The main reason is that you want /run to be writable super early in the
7 boot process, before even / has been fscked and re-mounted. That means
8 you can do stuff like starting udevd in parallel with fsck of / which
9 means faster boot. This is one of the things required to get 1 second
10 boot.
11
12 See http://lwn.net/Articles/436012/
15 Olivier CrĂȘte