From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] An Offering: the EMerge Interface
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:22:05
1 On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 01:59:25AM -0400, Will Rogers wrote:
2 > Karl,
3 >
4 > I rewrote the entire thing in Python (partly to see if I could). I
5 > haven't tested it as much as the original because it's 2am and I have to
6 > be at work in seven hours, but I was able to merge and unmerge joe, as
7 > well as query a bunch of stuff, without any trouble on my system. It is
8 > at present a lot slower than the Perl version because I used
9 > os.path.walk instead of opening a pipe from find, but I'll probably
10 > change that given the horrid performance it causes.
11
12 I've been working on something like this before: I have package name
13 lookups using regexes working, which can be sorted on version/revision,
14 etc.
15
16 I'll check it into CVS when I find a permanent place to stay and get my
17 machiine working (or tire of waiting for a room and just go buy a portable
18 and a futon ;).
21 > I send this directly to you because I get the faint impression that
22 > gentoo-dev is not the correct place to send this sort of thing and I
23 > didn't want to nag anyone without some guidance ;)
24
25 We can continue this on the tools mailing list. It fits there.
28 > The new version is posted at http://www.wam.umd.edu/~wjr, but as you can
29 > see I consider it a beta (more because of performance than stability--it
30 > takes several seconds to execute a dependency check with around 8
31 > dependencies).
32
33 I'll have a peek at it tomorrw. I don't have a Gentoo box handy today.
36 Regards,
37
38 Karl T