From: Will Rogers <wjr@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] An Offering: the EMerge Interface
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 23:59:14
1 Karl,
2
3 I rewrote the entire thing in Python (partly to see if I could). I
4 haven't tested it as much as the original because it's 2am and I have to
5 be at work in seven hours, but I was able to merge and unmerge joe, as
6 well as query a bunch of stuff, without any trouble on my system. It is
7 at present a lot slower than the Perl version because I used
8 os.path.walk instead of opening a pipe from find, but I'll probably
9 change that given the horrid performance it causes.
10
11 I send this directly to you because I get the faint impression that
12 gentoo-dev is not the correct place to send this sort of thing and I
13 didn't want to nag anyone without some guidance ;)
14
15 The new version is posted at http://www.wam.umd.edu/~wjr, but as you can
16 see I consider it a beta (more because of performance than stability--it
17 takes several seconds to execute a dependency check with around 8
18 dependencies).
19
20 Will Rogers, going to sleep.
21 wjr@×××××××.edu
24 > -----Original Message-----
25 > From: gentoo-dev-admin@××××××××××.org
26 > [mailto:gentoo-dev-admin@××××××××××.org] On Behalf Of Karl
27 > Trygve Kalleberg
28 > Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 2:25 PM
29 > To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
30 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] An Offering: the EMerge Interface
33 > Hi.
34 >
35 > I've already added this to Gentool, but I've not checked it
36 > into CVS yet (shame on me!).
37 >
38 > If you have knowledge of Python (we don't use Perl for
39 > Portage) and want to keep working on these kinds of things,
40 > tell me, and I'll see if we can't get Gentool rolling a bit
41 > faster from now on.
42 >
43 > For those of you who haven't been paying attention to what I
44 > intend to do with Gentool: It's intended as a playground for
45 > higher-level stuff that should go into Portage.
46 >
47 > Since Portage itself is so vital, we don't want to muck
48 > around with it needlessly. That's why I suggest we use
49 > Gentool as an entry-point
50 > for all crazy and non-crazy 'portage addons' that crop up on the list.
51 >
52 > This way, the users will be able to try them out before they
53 > make it into Portage proper, and we can throw away/rework
54 > suggestions that weren't so hot after all.
57 > I promise to speed up Gentool development once I get settled
58 > at uni (in
59 > about a week).
62 > Kind regards,
63 >