From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] An Offering: the EMerge Interface
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:26:21
1 Hi.
2
3 I've already added this to Gentool, but I've not checked it into CVS
4 yet (shame on me!).
5
6 If you have knowledge of Python (we don't use Perl for Portage) and
7 want to keep working on these kinds of things, tell me, and I'll see
8 if we can't get Gentool rolling a bit faster from now on.
9
10 For those of you who haven't been paying attention to what I intend
11 to do with Gentool: It's intended as a playground for higher-level
12 stuff that should go into Portage.
13
14 Since Portage itself is so vital, we don't want to muck around with
15 it needlessly. That's why I suggest we use Gentool as an entry-point
16 for all crazy and non-crazy 'portage addons' that crop up on the list.
17
18 This way, the users will be able to try them out before they make
19 it into Portage proper, and we can throw away/rework suggestions
20 that weren't so hot after all.
23 I promise to speed up Gentool development once I get settled at uni (in
24 about a week).
27 Kind regards,
28
29 Karl T