From: Will Rogers <wjr@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] An Offering: the EMerge Interface
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:26:57
1 > Hi.
2
3 Hi.
4
5 > If you have knowledge of Python (we don't use Perl for Portage) and
6 > want to keep working on these kinds of things, tell me, and I'll see
7 > if we can't get Gentool rolling a bit faster from now on.
8
9 I'm reasonably familiar with Python (I tinker with a MUD written in Java
10 using Jython for scripting every now and again) but I haven't really used it
11 to write anything significant yet. This has been on my "TODO" list for
12 quite a while and Gentoo is giving me a reason to finally get around to it.
13 I spent much of my day today browsing the Python web site and figuring out
14 what the analogs to the Perl features I used in my emi script are in
15 Python--opening a pipe, backticks, qx//, etc. I also read through the
16 Developer HOWTO on the Gentoo site to get a vauge idea of how Portage works.
17
18 Tonight I'm going to see if I can rewrite emi in Python in a reasonable
19 amount of time. If I succeed at that I'll declare myself a Python
20 programmer and start implementing some of the other features I want in emi.
21 Some of these are easy (emi merge <packagename> shows you a list of possible
22 ways to install packagename, binary or ebuild, and lets you choose one
23 without having to explicitly specify a _file_ to install on the
24 commandline), some are hard (providing an interactive mode with a browsable
25 view of the state of the system and available packages, a la dselect).
26
27 I'm obviously not familiar with the Gentoo development process. If I
28 produce a version of emi in Python or add features, should I post it to this
29 list again? Figure out how to create an ebuild + archive and post it to the
30 ebuild list? Please instruct me in the particulars.
31
32 > Since Portage itself is so vital, we don't want to muck around with
33 > it needlessly. That's why I suggest we use Gentool as an entry-point
34 > for all crazy and non-crazy 'portage addons' that crop up on the list.
35 >
36 > This way, the users will be able to try them out before they make
37 > it into Portage proper, and we can throw away/rework suggestions
38 > that weren't so hot after all.
39
40 Excellent.
41
42 > I promise to speed up Gentool development once I get settled at uni (in
43 > about a week).
44
45 I promise to speed up anything and everything once I'm settled back at
46 University of Maryland, College Park for my third year and off this horrid
47 dialup. ;) I am willing and able to assist in development. This project
48 really interests me.
49
50 Will Rogers, enjoying Gentoo
51 wjr@×××××××.edu