From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: Does OpenRC really need mount-ro
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 03:12:03
1 On 02/17/2016 01:32 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Genkernel's initramfs generation was what we endorsed for the most
5 >> part, until dracut came around. it's hard to say what "most" are
6 >> doing but i expect dracut and genkernel based initramfs's make up
7 >> the vast majority in use by gentoo users, with a small minority
8 >> rolling their own through other means.
11 > While I personally endorse dracut over genkernel, the reality is that
12 > only genkernel is actually documented in the handbook. This is due at
13 > least in part to laziness on my part as I've been meaning to add it
14 > since forever.
15 >
16 > Likewise I intend to update the handbook to make selection of
17 > openrc/systemd less convoluted as well. The current handbook does
18 > offer systemd as an option but then basically refers you out to
19 > another page that doesn't follow the same flow as the handbook.
20 >
21 > In my notes I've found that it is a pretty trivial change to pick one
22 > or the other actually if you do it at the right time, so this could be
23 > added to the handbook with very little disruption to the flow for
24 > non-systemd users. I imagine other service managers would be similar,
25 > or even simpler. I found that switching between the two only requires
26 > two changes - one is to pick a systemd profile relatively early in the
27 > process before doing a world update, and then changing one line in
28 > your grub config at the end. If you emerge world after you do most of
29 > your system configuration systemd will automatically pick up all the
30 > openrc configuration and use it, which as a bonus leaves you with a
31 > system that is easy to boot in either mode.
32 >
33 > Getting back to dracut - it is really just a few lines added as an
34 > alternative to the initramfs section. After you build your kernel it
35 > is really just a one-liner, and grub2-mkconfig picks up on it
36 > automatically (as I imagine it probably does with genkernel as well).
37 > Unless you want to play with the configuration there isn't much fuss.
38
39 dracut does not assist those who do not want generic kernel
40 configurations. Unfortunately, the handbook does not do a good job in
41 saying that the initramfs generation and generic kernel configurations
42 are optional.
43
44 > I think we really should give strong consideration to recommending
45 > dracut as a default, while of course preserving the option of
46 > genkernel. I'm certainly open to feedback if there is some use case
47 > where genkernel is better, but dracut is cross-distro, gives you
48 > options to easily maximize or minimize your config, and is really easy
49 > to tailor with modules.
50
51 There is no default and system boot without an initramfs not only works,
52 but is advisable for faster boot unless something fancy is being done
53 that needs it.
54
55 Claiming to pick a default between genkernel and dracut when both are
56 optional makes no sense, especially since dracut's capabilities
57 (initramfs generation) are a subset of genkernel's (initramfs generation
58 and kernel builds). dracut could replace genkernel's initramfs
59 generation capabilities, but it simply cannot replace genkernel for
60 building a generic kernel. It was never intended to do that.
61
62 By the way, pver the course of time, there have been things genkernel
63 did better and things dracut did better. It is unlikely one will ever be
64 superior to the other. However, some feedback on what genkernel does
65 poorly versus dracut and could therefore improve would be helpful.