From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:38:05
1 On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:06:42 +1300 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> wrote:
2 | On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:13:37 +0000
3 | Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o> wrote:
4 | > My question is, how can we improve this situation? Portage really
5 | > needs a decent messaging system to convey messages like this. It's
6 | > in the works, right? It seems long overdue now...
7 |
8 | non-developer lurker here: how about (optionally) the user sets an
9 | email address in make.conf and gets emailed really important earth
10 | shattering stuff. maybe a new function in ebuilds like:
11 |
12 | eemailwarn "you need to install coldplug....blah blah..."
13
14 Not all users have an mta installed. Any solution along these lines
15 would need to support at a minimum these options:
16 * sending via an mta
17 * writing to the system log
18 * writing to a particular file
19 * displaying all messages post merge
20 * discarding messages
23 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
24 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
25 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm