From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Exorcising a d(a)emon from GNOME's past (aka EsounD Last Rites)
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 03:43:09
1 On 4 January 2012 06:48, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > Today, I was shocked to find that the EsounD daemon is still in the
5 > tree and new ebuilds are actually still pulling it in under USE=esd!
6 >
7 > Proposal: package.mask media-sound/esound, use.mask USE=esd. Anything
8 > that still uses it should stop using it. Anything that /needs it/
9 > should be purged from the tree with extreme prejudice[1].
10 >
11 > I'll do the first two today, and the rest of the rituals necessary to
12 > complete the exorcism will take a month. Help in this regard is
13 > welcome since the job is rather straightforward.
14 >
15 > Thanks!
16 >
17 > 1. In exceptional cases, a dependency on pulseaudio will also suffice
18 > since pulseaudio emulates an esound socket while running with
19 > `module-protocol-esound-unix` loaded, which is the default.
20
21 We've just made it optional in upstream git as well, so unless someone
22 screams murder, I'm going to make esd support an off-by-default USE
23 flag for media-sound/pulseaudio as well.
26 Arun Raghavan
27 http://arunraghavan.net/
28 (Ford_Prefect | Gentoo) & (arunsr | GNOME)