From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp"
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 07:24:56
1 On Wed, 10 May 2017 01:40:36 +0200
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Am Mittwoch, 10. Mai 2017, 00:47:30 CEST schrieb Alexis Ballier:
5 > > On Tue, 9 May 2017 23:18:20 +0200 Hanno Böck <hanno@g.o>
6 > > wrote:
7 > > > I really think it's about time that pie becomes the default in
8 > > > Gentoo.
9 > >
10 > > For a transition we can probably build everything with -fPIE but not
11 > > link with -pie. If we want that to happen fast, gcc-6 might do that
12 > > and gcc-7 add the -pie option.
13 >
14 > What do we gain by that?
15 >
16 > Wouldn't we need to rebuild all the static archives afterwards again
17 > anyway, just to make sure they have been rebuilt?
20 yep we wouldn't gain much
21
22 considering gcc unmasks timings, the idea was to have enough time to
23 pass for the need to rebuild to be gone