From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Future EAPI] src_fetch() phase function to support VCS fetching
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 08:38:22
1 On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:25:54 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 19:23:51 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > The 'checking out' language for src_unpack() sounds like it
7 > > > assumes a DVCS such as mercurial or git. What about cvs or svn,
8 > > > where fetching is also checking out? (This is probably a trivial
9 > > > thing to clear up, though.)
10 > >
11 > > They either stay with src_unpack() or do 'cvs up' in src_fetch()
12 > > and just copy files over in src_unpack(). Anyway, that's what they
13 > > do now -- update the copy in distfiles/cvs-src and then copy it.
14 >
15 > This doesn't work if we have, for example, foo:1 and foo:2 both using
16 > the same SCM repository, but different branches. Much as we'd like to
17 > pretend that everyone uses Git, we can't really ignore this case...
18 >
19 > So we have to decide: do we make the src_fetch copy the data somewhere
20 > after all, or do we require that eclasses do something obscene to
21 > avoid this?
22
23 Eclasses have to handle themselves, if we are supporting this. There's
24 no point in bloating the solution for 1 theoretical package on 1000
25 which doesn't even exist.
26
27 And yes, it is *very* unlikely that someone uses a slotted live ebuild
28 with two branches being meaningful and managed in the same repo. Even
29 if such thing exists, it is broken anyway because you can't say that
30 re-fetching the branches back and forth is a correct solution. And it
31 breaks existing tools anyway.
32
33 Well, even I doubt eclasses need to do something obscene. The need for
34 that is so small that I believe if someone was crazy enough, he could
35 just set an appropriate storedir in ebuild.
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny