From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 04:04:56
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > | Are you really saying that you won't be releasing this information
3 > | until such time as *Paludis* meets it, even though portage/pkgcore
4 > | may not? Isn't the *point* of this spec to try to bring everyone on
5 > | the same page?
6 >
7 > I'm saying that until there is an independent implementation, the
8 > specification is worthless and will contain huge numbers of errors.
9
10 Seriously? Without an implementation, your spec of what should happen will
11 have loads of errors?
12
13 > This is standard practice for professional standards, and is the
14 > principal difference between, say, Open Document Format and Office Open
15 > XML -- the former is a real standard, whereas the latter is a
16 > description of how one program operates.
17 >
18 > Now, if PMS happens to end up being ready before Paludis 1.0, PMS will
19 > get released before then. But if Paludis 1.0 ends up being ready before
20 > PMS, my and probably others' priorities will switch to getting PMS
21 > ready as quickly as sanely possible.
22 >
23 Clearly you are more concerned about getting Paludis ready. spb has other
24 priorities, fair enough, but this is something that seems fairly important
25 for gentoo as a whole.
26
27 In process terms, I can't understand why the team working on it isn't a
28 pkgcore dev (eg marienz if you can't communicate with ferringb), a portage
29 dev such as zmedico, yourself from paludis and say antarus from
30 treecleaners. I'd add in someone like jakub or spanky from bug wranglers
31 and Gianelloni for the infrastructure. Having it all from one set of devs
32 (paludis) is like having w3c standards written by one company.
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list