From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use GLEP27!
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 20:22:42
1 >>>>> On Mon, 14 Dec 2015, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > As far as I can see, this GLEP predates EAPI and does not meet
4 > modern standards. It needs to be updated or killed with fire.
5
6 > For a start, relation to EAPI needs to be defined. This will likely
7 > require both profiles and ebuilds to use the new EAPI.
8
9 Certainly this is true for ebuilds. We could introduce EUSERS and
10 EGROUPS variables as well as FEATURES=noautoaccts in EAPI 7.
11
12 I'd rather avoid bumping all profiles to EAPI 7, though. From a
13 pragmatic point of view, I think nothing bad would happen if we would
14 add user and group definition files to an existing (EAPI 5) profile,
15 as old package managers would simple ignore these files.
16
17 > Also, the contents of 'backwards compatibility' section are
18 > unacceptable. But that's probably going to be covered by EAPI.
19
20 > The spec itself is hard to follow, though the idea seems simple.
21 > It makes me wonder if we aren't missing something important there.
22
23 The spec seems incomplete. I cannot find a description of the user and
24 group files' format. (But in fact, there is a standard format which
25 suggests itself, namely that of the passwd(5) and group(5) files.)
26
27 Also having whole directory trees seems wasteful and doesn't fit so
28 well into the existing design of profiles. It might be simpler to put
29 "user" (or "passwd") and "group" files directly in the profile.
30 (If directories are really needed, we could use the scheme foreseen
31 in [1] for package.* and use.* files.)
32
33 Also a mechanism how a subprofile could undefine a user or group
34 defined in its parent seems to be missing.
35
36 Ulrich
39 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/282296