From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use GLEP27!
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 05:13:48
1 On 14 Dec 2015 21:22, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > The spec seems incomplete. I cannot find a description of the user and
3 > group files' format. (But in fact, there is a standard format which
4 > suggests itself, namely that of the passwd(5) and group(5) files.)
5
6 i recall going with xml at the time, but i can't find reference to it.
7
8 > Also having whole directory trees seems wasteful and doesn't fit so
9 > well into the existing design of profiles. It might be simpler to put
10 > "user" (or "passwd") and "group" files directly in the profile.
11 > (If directories are really needed, we could use the scheme foreseen
12 > in [1] for package.* and use.* files.)
13
14 we implemented this GLEP in Chromium OS and have been using it for a while:
15 https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/overlays/eclass-overlay/+/master
16
17 having a directory of files is way more user friendly imo and allows for
18 a format that is easier to read. /etc/passwd and /etc/group format are
19 not that easy to scan and aren't portable.
20
21 > Also a mechanism how a subprofile could undefine a user or group
22 > defined in its parent seems to be missing.
23
24 what exactly do you mean by that ? you want to make it so attempts to
25 use the account yield an undefined error ? or you want to have it so
26 a child can revert back to an earlier definition ?
27 -mike