From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use GLEP27!
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 06:28:13
1 >>>>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > On 14 Dec 2015 21:22, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> The spec seems incomplete. I cannot find a description of the user and
5 >> group files' format. (But in fact, there is a standard format which
6 >> suggests itself, namely that of the passwd(5) and group(5) files.)
7
8 > i recall going with xml at the time, but i can't find reference to it.
9
10 So the package manager would have to parse XML? We have tried to avoid
11 that, so far.
12
13 >> Also having whole directory trees seems wasteful and doesn't fit so
14 >> well into the existing design of profiles. It might be simpler to put
15 >> "user" (or "passwd") and "group" files directly in the profile.
16 >> (If directories are really needed, we could use the scheme foreseen
17 >> in [1] for package.* and use.* files.)
18
19 > we implemented this GLEP in Chromium OS and have been using it for a while:
20 > https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/overlays/eclass-overlay/+/master
21
22 > having a directory of files is way more user friendly imo and allows for
23 > a format that is easier to read. /etc/passwd and /etc/group format are
24 > not that easy to scan and aren't portable.
25
26 As we most likely will introduce profile file directories in EAPI 7
27 (see bug 282296), I'd rather use the same scheme for the user and
28 group files, but not something different.
29
30 >> Also a mechanism how a subprofile could undefine a user or group
31 >> defined in its parent seems to be missing.
32
33 > what exactly do you mean by that ? you want to make it so attempts to
34 > use the account yield an undefined error ? or you want to have it so
35 > a child can revert back to an earlier definition ?
36
37 The former.
38
39 Ulrich