From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:34:19
1 Samuli Suominen:
2 >
3 > On 22/07/14 10:25, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
4 >> On 7/21/14, 11:52 PM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
5 >>> 2. Remove dynamic-deps. This is what I think currently makes sense.
6 >> +1 I also think it's the best option.
10 > Not before someone has implemented an alternative way to avoid useless
11 > rebuilding.
12 > The quality of the distribution doesn't improve by killing one of the
13 > most important
14 > features the package manager has.
15 > The quality of the distribution improves by providing an alternative
16 > with less problems.
17 >
18 > Sounds like to me, that the people who want to remove the feature so
19 > badly, are the
20 > ones volunteering for the job as well.
24 There seems to be a misunderstanding.
25
26 The feature is already _optional_ and not even active in all
27 circumstances (did you read the wiki entry?). If your ebuilds
28 assume that random portage features are enabled, then that's pretty much
29 undefined behavior.
30
31 We can debate whether there are dependency changes not worth a revbump.
32 We can debate how to reinstate dynamic deps support or how to update the
33 VDB.
34
35 But considering any of that as a blocker to fix a fundamental bug in
36 dependency calculation, handling of VDB and PMS compatibility is close
37 to being silly, I'm sorry.