From: Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Require full $P not just $PN on stable/keyword commit messages
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 16:25:39
1 On 02/11/19 08:54, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 19:59:35 +0000
3 > Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Thoughts from outside peanut gallery?
6 >>
7 >> Michael / veremitz.
8 > I have an alternative that might be more pleasant:
9 >
10 > 1. Change repoman so that when its clear that:
11 > - There is at least one ebuild being changed
12 > - There is only one ebuild being changed
13 > Then the templated summary line is full ${P}
14 >
15 > 2. Otherwise, retain the current semantics of using a simpler
16 > ${P} in other cases.
17 >
18 > 3. Make no *requirements* that ${P} be used instead of ${PN},
19 > and that way people who think they have a good reason to use ${PN}
20 > instead of ${P} can do just that (if for instance, they need to lop
21 > off context so they can have a longer commit message )
22 >
23 > This IMO improves things by default, given that the majority of changes
24 > get run through repoman, and a majority of changes have very terse
25 > requirements for extra data.
26 >
27 > It also means that by default, when people just make the commit message
28 > something silly like "bump", or "version bump", despite the fact they
29 > didn't put in much effort, the log defaults to being useful, and the
30 > commit messages relayed to #gentoo-commits improves in usefulness.
31 >
32 > Partly, because for me, one of my prime vectors where I become aware
33 > changes are occuring is in #gentoo commits, particularly because
34 > something in there highlights me.
35 >
36 > I don't want to *have* to:
37 > - Resync my git repo
38 > - Dig into git wizardry
39 >
40 > *just* to ascertain what version was involved, and to then ascertain if
41 > I need to investigate further.
42 >
43 > ( Because once I've already synced and started using git wizardry, I'm
44 > already starting to pay investigation taxes )
47 This sounds like a good compromise, and one I'm content to work on. Anyone
48 else able/willing to pitch in?