From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: noarch keyword
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 13:19:39
1 On 3/18/20 10:54 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >
3 > So, my question is, why can't we add a noarch/~noarch keyword and see
4 > how things go? If it gets abused we can always nuke it later.
7 This is a good goal, but as others have pointed out, adding a new magic
8 keyword poses some workflow problems.
9
10 We already have the ability to fake this. Instead of KEYWORDS="~noarch",
11 if you really believe that your package is architecture-independent, you
12 can just add all ~arch keywords to it. If you're right, no one will ever
13 notice, and if you're wrong, you'll get shit for it -- just like you
14 would have if you marked it ~noarch incorrectly.
15
16 Maintainers can do their own stabilization (on all arches) for those
17 packages. I hesitate to invoke "common sense," but in cases where common
18 sense truly does prevail, you should have no problem keywording and
19 stabilizing a package on all arches that e.g. downloads a PDF of API
20 documentation.