From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Initial Python 3.10 porting notes
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 07:31:49
1 Hi,
2
3 As you have probably noticed, the first Python 3.10.0 beta has landed
4 (which means no major changes anymore, only bug fixes), and I've started
5 adding python3.10 target to various packages. So far I've managed to
6 reach pytest which is a good sign but there are still many broken
7 (upstream) packages.
8
9 You can try porting some low-hanging fruit already but please note
10 the following:
11
12 1. The target is stable-masked and won't be stable for at least another
13 half a year (final 3.10.0 release is planned in September).
14
15 2. Remember to test packages. In my very short experience, 3.10 breaks
16 more stuff than 3.9 or 3.8 did (but then, I've started testing earlier).
17
18 3. Do *not* revbump when adding 3.10. It's stable-masked, so you don't
19 have to worry about breaking stable.
20
21 4. If you're about to bump what looks like low-hanging fruit, it's
22 a good idea to try porting the current version first. More versions
23 with py3.10 support to choose from, less problems later on. Though
24 I suppose it doesn't matter much given that it won't go stable in a few
25 months.
26
27 5. If stuff fails, try upstream's VCS -- there might be some easy
28 backports available.
29
30 6. Note that urllib3 is not yet ready which means a significant portion
31 of packages is blocked anyway.
32
33 If you have any problems, feel free to ping me.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny