From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Initial Python 3.10 porting notes
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 07:33:48
1 On Thu, 2021-05-06 at 09:31 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > As you have probably noticed, the first Python 3.10.0 beta has landed
5 > (which means no major changes anymore, only bug fixes), and I've started
6 > adding python3.10 target to various packages. So far I've managed to
7 > reach pytest which is a good sign but there are still many broken
8 > (upstream) packages.
9 >
10 > You can try porting some low-hanging fruit already but please note
11 > the following:
12 >
13 > 1. The target is stable-masked and won't be stable for at least another
14 > half a year (final 3.10.0 release is planned in September).
15 >
16 > 2. Remember to test packages. In my very short experience, 3.10 breaks
17 > more stuff than 3.9 or 3.8 did (but then, I've started testing earlier).
18 >
19 > 3. Do *not* revbump when adding 3.10. It's stable-masked, so you don't
20 > have to worry about breaking stable.
21 >
22 > 4. If you're about to bump what looks like low-hanging fruit, it's
23 > a good idea to try porting the current version first. More versions
24 > with py3.10 support to choose from, less problems later on. Though
25 > I suppose it doesn't matter much given that it won't go stable in a few
26 > months.
27 >
28 > 5. If stuff fails, try upstream's VCS -- there might be some easy
29 > backports available.
30 >
31 > 6. Note that urllib3 is not yet ready which means a significant portion
32 > of packages is blocked anyway.
33 >
34 > If you have any problems, feel free to ping me.
37 Oh, and if you're using pkgcheck, it will give you a PythonCompatUpdate
38 result if the package in question has all the deps ready.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny