From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: better policy for ChageLogs
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 08:04:17
1 Peter Volkov posted on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 09:09:04 +0400 as excerpted:
2
3 >> One of the huge benefits in using git would be really fast emerge
4 >> --syncs. Not having some kind of system for migrating users to git
5 >> seems like a lot of the benefits are lost.
6 >
7 > Is git faster then rsync? I've never done any checks but it'll be
8 > surprising if it will.
9
10 That's a question that has come up before. I don't know the answer...
11
12 > Another useful feature of rsync is --exclude that
13 > allows some categories to be excluded (for size and speed efficiency),
14 > e.g. my servers don't need kde-* and games-*.
15
16 Git has similar options in the form of the .git/info/exclude file at the
17 (local) repository level, and .gitignore files at the subdir level (these
18 are normally synced with the repo but of course can be excluded locally by
19 the above repository level file, if desired).
20
21 Patterns similar to those used by rsync --exclude are even supported. =:^)
22
23 See also the git config core.excludefile command (git-config (1) manpage)
24 and the gitignore (5) manpage.
25
26 > Also taking into account
27 > that we use portage tree on embedded devices where again both size and
28 > speed really matters it looks like the answer on your question is
29 > "permanently".
30
31 With shallow checkouts, the size aspect is somewhat mitigated. However,
32 it may be that there'd be three user sync options, adding git, to the
33 current two (rsync and webrsync).
34
35 IMO it'd be a real shame to not make the git sync option available to the
36 user, as a number of projects have already discovered that real community
37 involvement at the GOOD bug report and above level can increase
38 dramatically after a switch to git, due to the vastly increased
39 accessibility and ease of use of tools such as git bisect.
40
41 But the *REAL* decison on whether git is ultimately made available at the
42 user level or not will probably be infra's to make, based not on the
43 above, but on the very practical question of whether Gentoo's mirror
44 infrastructure can actually handle the git-pull load. After all, that's
45 said to be the reason the CVS tree isn't made directly available to
46 ordinary users today. Git should be better than CVS in that regard, but
47 will it be good /enough/ as compared to the resources demanded by rsync,
48 or not? That I don't know, tho I suspect infra and/or the git upgrade
49 project already has a reasonably educated opinion on the matter.
50
51 Of course, someone like Google donating enough hardware and bandwidth to
52 "make it happen", based on, say, their use of Gentoo as a basis for
53 ChromeOS, thus making a healthy Gentoo good for them too, might help infra
54 with its decision. One can hope. =:^)
59 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman