From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@××××××××××××.org>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage and /usr/local
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 16:54:03
1 On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 23:33, Eric Jacoboni wrote:
2 > >>>>> "Sven" == Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be> writes:
5 Deciding what is nicessary and optional is not always so easy. For
6 me X is optional, for somebody else it is necessary.
7
8 The whole point with portage, is that the build scripts is just that ..
9 scripts in the well known bash (hopefully?!?). We go by FHS, if the
10 user want to deviate, that is his *desicison*. The easy way out ?
11 Sure, but it tends to give consistancy.
12
13 > Sven> This is as defined by the FHS. /usr/local is for programs that
14 > Sven> are compiled by sources not provided by the distribution.
15 >
16 > Oh, yes, i'm (sigh.) aware of the FHS. If /usr/local isn't
17 > appropriate, let's choose another : /usr/whatever... or /opt. Better:
18 > let the admin decide.
19 >
20 > I've chosen /usr/local because that the one i'm using on my BSD boxes
21 > but it's name is not important, after all.
22 >
23 > The point, here, is that portage system is a great thing, inspired by
24 > FreeBSD ports (as D. Robbins says). I would add that another great BSD
25 > thing is the separation between 'necessary' and 'optional'. We could
26 > also speak about what is 'necessary' and what is 'optional' on a Linux
27 > box (i think it depends of its targeted work).
28 >
29 > I think gkrellm, tcl/tk, ruby, emacs, gnome, kde, windomaker aren't
30 > 'necessary' as they're subject to user/admin own preferences. My
31 > vision, here, would be to find this distinction in my FS. In fact, if
32 > my /usr/local was on another disk, and if my / disk was dead, i should
33 > be able to reinstall GenToo on a new disk without having to rebuild
34 > anything else... (it suppose that shared libs and etc of /usr/local
35 > apps are also on /usr/local, as it happens to be on *BSD) /usr/local
36 > could also be shared by NFS (in this case, i'm agree with you, local
37 > is probably not the most appropriate name).
38 >
39 > As i said in my previous post, i find Linux is a great kernel but
40 > Linux distros are poor organized, imho. The portage system, as an 'open'
41 > (readable) packaging format, let us make some personnal choices (as
42 > compilation option), why not do so with install choices ?
43 >
44 > Sven> Ofcourse, being able to change it on the users request (f.i.
45 > Sven> ~$ export PREFIX=/usr/local; emerge gkrellm
46 > Sven> ) could be an interesting feature (although I'm not going to use it).
47 >
48 > Yes, i think a admin should be able to easily configure it FS
49 > organization. I've not lurked too close at the portage config files
50 > but, i think a config file containing a mapping between ebuilds and
51 > PREFIX would be a _great_ improvement over other Linux distros.
52 > At least, we could be able to use a PREFIX for a particular
53 > emerge.
54 >
55 > --
56 > Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1334617335 secondes
58 > gentoo-dev mailing list
59 > gentoo-dev@g.o