From: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage and /usr/local
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 17:32:24
1 >>>>> "Martin" == Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o> writes:
2
3 Martin> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 23:33, Eric Jacoboni wrote:
4 >> >>>>> "Sven" == Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be> writes:
5 >>
6 Martin> Deciding what is nicessary and optional is not always so easy.
7 Martin> For me X is optional, for somebody else it is necessary.
8
9 Yes, i think it's the corner stone... XFree isn't necessary for a Unix
10 system. But you will notice that it has it's own FS, its binaries
11 are'nt installed under /usr/bin, nor its libs. That's a good thing and
12 that exactly what i would have for other non necessary softwares.
13
14 Martin> The whole point with portage, is that the build scripts is
15 Martin> just that .. scripts in the well known bash (hopefully?!?).
16 Martin> We go by FHS, if the user want to deviate, that is his
17 Martin> *desicison*. The easy way out ? Sure, but it tends to give
18 Martin> consistancy.
19
20 I don't ask for a easy way, i was only asking if it was possible
21 without breaking the whole stuff. Another story is to know if Portage
22 developpers are agree with this or not: i'm not going to swim again
23 the flood: i'm able to do manually the installations under
24 /usr/local, but i wonder if i could do so with emerge to make
25 maintenance of my system easier.
28 Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1334621959 secondes