From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: devmanual <devmanual@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The demotivating process of contributing to devmanual
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 21:10:34
1 On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 1:59 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 2019-10-15 at 16:47 -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 4:35 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > Hello, everyone.
6 > > >
7 > > > I'd like to highlight a major problem with devmanual. For a basic
8 > > > policy & developer documentation thingie, it's quality is so-so at
9 > best.
10 > > > A lot of stuff is missing, lots of things are outdated or even
11 > > > incorrect. Not many people are contributing, and those who try quickly
12 > > > resign.
13 > >
14 > > Maybe you should join the project? Especially if you are making major
15 > > contributions.
16 >
17 > Are you suggesting that I join the project and start committing without
18 > review, or disregarding review? I have serious doubts on joining
19 > the project if I am repeatedly proven to be doing things wrong --
20 > whether the issues were serious or not.
23 > > > Most of my pull requests were apparently approved, so they might be
24 > > > finally merged some day.
25 > >
26 > > I believe all devs have push access to that repo, so you could just
27 > > push the changes yourself if there are no reasonable objections.
28 >
29 > I never realized that.
32 > > Minor mistakes happen, and can be corrected after the fact.
36 One tactic here is to just timebound the reviews. 2 weeks between posting a
37 PR and getting a review is too long IMHO. Post a PR and say you will merge
38 it in 72 hours or something. If it's wrong, it can be fixed after the fact
39 as floppym notes.
40
41 If I'm at work and someone has sent me a patch and the patch is good but
42 there are some minor spelling / grammar fixes they can make I will
43 basically reply pointing out the problems (so they can fix them) but I also
44 tell them to merge once the fixes are applied. This means they don't need
45 to wait for me to "review" the spelling fixes. Obviously there is both
46 trust (in that I assume they did what I asked) and tooling (we have a tool
47 where I write comments like "you spelled foobare wrong here, should be
48 'foobar'" and they have to click "RESOLVE" on each item; you can't submit a
49 PR with 'unresolved' items open) so there is some pressure to "do the right
50 thing."
51
52 -A
56 > --