From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: profiles/arches.desc - improve repoman flexibility (with other benefits)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 23:02:53
1 On 27/03/17 11:10, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 >
3 >> 3] Meaning of the three values "stable", "testing", "unstable" for
4 >> repoman
5 >>
6 >> * stable: When a profile of arch is tested, then repoman checks
7 >> consistency for
8 >> "arch" and for "~arch" separately.
9 >> Which profiles of the arch are tested is still controlled by
10 >> profiles.desc (and
11 >> -d / -e switches).
12 >> This is the current behaviour and should be the default if nothing is
13 >> specified
14 >> for an arch.
15 >>
16 >> * testing: When a profile of arch is tested, then repoman treats
17 >> "arch" as
18 >> "~arch", and tests consistency only for "~arch".
19 >> Which profiles of the arch are tested is still controlled by
20 >> profiles.desc (and
21 >> -d / -e switches).
22 >> A new switch for repoman may be provided to temporarily upgrade an
23 >> arch from
24 >> "testing" to "stable" (for arch team work).
25 >>
26 >> * unstable: When a profile of arch is tested, then repoman treats
27 >> "arch" as an
28 >> error and aborts. Consistency is only tested for "~arch".
29 >> Which profiles of the arch are tested is still controlled by
30 >> profiles.desc (and
31 >> -d / -e switches).
32 > This sounds more like "testing" to me - architecture is only meant to
33 > have "testing" keywords, which is what I tend to call ~arch because
34 > it's in testing to become "stable" in ~30days or so, instead of calling
35 > it "unstable" (which feels appropriate only for a package that doesn't
36 > carry any stable keywords in older versions either).
37 > While taken from another perspective, the meaning for "testing" as in
38 > this proposal makes sense too - treat all as "testing" keywords.
39 > This goes back to the overloaded terminology concerns that have been
40 > echoed by others as well.
41 > But I don't have any good suggestions for alternatives either right
42 > now. stable/no_stable_check/testing_only? shrug.
45 'unstable' should surely be applied to masked packages, no? Everything
46 not-stable and not-unstable becomes therefore 'testing' ...