From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: profiles/arches.desc - improve repoman flexibility (with other benefits)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 06:38:49
1 On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 00:00:30 +0100
2 "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3
4 > 'unstable' should surely be applied to masked packages, no? Everything
5 > not-stable and not-unstable becomes therefore 'testing' ...
6
7 Nah, he's trying to make the phrase "stable arch" mean something
8 in a way tools can understand.
9
10 Because we currently have stable arches as a concept, but as far
11 as portage is concerned, we only have stable *profiles*, but we can
12 only identify specific profiles with arches ... which means ...
13
14 We can't have a value of ~arch that we can test without also
15 implying the experimental profiles of that arch that don't matter.
16
17 Hence,
18
19 stable - what it currently means
20
21 testing - for architectures where there will be no promises
22 beyond "Somebody tested it once" and a 'stable' KEYWORD
23 value does not mean anything more than a '~' KEYWORD value.
24
25 Where the objective is to make sure at least for an architecture
26 developers should spend effort to keep that keywording in place,
27 but not ever bother with stabilizing.
28
29 unstable - This architecture is so undermaintained that no encouragement
30 is made of developers to keep keywords consistent, and they can be freely
31 ignored.
32
33 This is why I preferred alternative wording that was descriptive of what
34 its doing instead of so obscure and generic and over-conflated.
35
36 keyword-consistency=literal-match # 'stable'
37
38 keyword-consistency=mixed # 'testing'
39
40 keyword-consistency=none # 'unstable'
41
42 Or something along those lines.