From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Request for testing: plasma-active
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 07:50:21
1 Chris Reffett posted on Fri, 21 Jun 2013 19:24:39 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > The KDE team has added Plasma Active to the KDE overlay, under the
4 > (provisional) category name kde-active. Plasma Active is based on KDE
5 > and is designed for mobile devices. We are not able to test it at
6 > present as none of the KDE team has a mobile device running Gentoo, so
7 > we would be very appreciative if community members would help us by
8 > testing and reporting bugs to us. To install it, add the overlay (layman
9 > -a kde) and emerge all of the packages in the kde-active category.
10
11 This seems like the best opportunity I'm likely to get to ask (as a kde
12 user)...
13
14 Just what /is/ plasma-active as opposed to kde? It it (essentially) a
15 different desktop (umm... "mobiletop"?) entirely, built by the same
16 people but with a different (mobile) target? If kde and plasma-active
17 are both installed, does a fair portion of the config carry over (do they
18 use the same user config dirs?) or not? If I run a kde app on the plasma-
19 active "mobiletop", does it still use it's kde settings, or does it use
20 separate plasma-active settings now?
21
22 What about non-kde apps, gtk, etc? With kde, there's a kde settings
23 color option to use the same colors on non-kde apps. Does that apply to
24 plasma-active as well?
25
26 FWIW I have a netbook (generation 1.5 acer aspire one aoa150, one of the
27 first with a 100-gig plus standard SATA hard drive, but still old enough
28 it avoided the infamous intel netbook graphics driver issues as it still
29 used the standard driver) that I'm running gentoo on, currently with kde
30 4.8, IIRC. But I don't normally use the "net" part of netbook and I've
31 never (successfully) configured the wireless. It plugs in to ethernet at
32 home, but primarily it's for mobile unnetworked "stand-alone" use.
33
34 Would this be an appropriate plasma-active platform, or does plasma-
35 active make too many assumptions about being basically constantly net-
36 connected to be viable on my "unnetbook"?
37
38 So far I've stayed away from plasma-active, mostly because I assumed it
39 wanted constant connection, but also because I wasn't sure about the
40 above. But if it works reasonably without a net connection and runs
41 normal apps reasonably, it could be worth at least testing, giving you
42 some testing and feedback as well as me some hands-on with it.
43
44 Oh, and it doesn't require semantic-desktop or the like, I hope. Because
45 I need that like I need another hole in my head. See below.
46
47 Semantic-desktop: Just so you guys know, as I said, I need semantic-
48 desktop about as much as I need another hole in my head, so I'm **VERY**
49 not happy with the 4.11 changes. I spent quite a bit of time patching
50 the 4.10.80 ebuilds to kill the semantic-desktop once again, and
51 developed a user-epatch-like framework to automatically apply the patches
52 to updates as they come in, but either due to that or due to some other
53 bug in this first 4.11 beta, activities are broken (a kde restart always
54 starts with a new activity, and the existing customized activities aren't
55 listed so I must start from scratch every time... but the panel config
56 carries over just fine... shrug).
57
58 Even if it worked, however, I'm unsure of the maintainability apart from
59 upstream gentoo/kde over time. But as I said, I need semantic-desktop
60 like I need another hole in my head, and with all the changes in kde
61 during the kde4 timeframe, I'm far less dependent on kde now than I was
62 for the kde3 -> kde4 upgrade, so I may simply drop my kde desktop
63 entirely, and switch to something else.
64
65 I guess I'll find out over time, but it would make things a *LOT* simpler
66 if you'd simply reconsider forcing semantic-desktop. Because much like
67 my going to all the effort to jump to Linux and drop MS, after which
68 there was no going back, there's no going back to semantic-desktop for
69 me. The additional hole in the head is a reasonable analogy in that
70 regard and I'll rather be dropping kde entirely if it comes to that. But
71 I'd rather not have to do that and have to look for something else, if
72 it's avoidable. (razor-qt? enlightenment? Something else?)
73
74 Not that I expect it to change any decisions, but now you know the pain
75 it's causing here, at least. And I'd certainly be delighted if you /do/
76 reconsider. Otherwise... well, maybe there'll be a kde4-sunset overlay
77 and I'll have others to help too, or maybe I'll simply find something
78 else eventually...
83 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman