From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:41:48
1 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Dynamics deps are already broken, not consistently enabled (e.g. when
4 > subslots are in use)
5
6 Just to make it clear: No, dynamic deps are not broken.
7
8 What is broken is that portage does not use them consistently.
9
10 It would be a rather bad idea to change policy just because of this
11 portage bug and force users to permanently do unnecessary
12 recompilations. At least, for me, it would mean that I have
13 to change distribution, since I cannot afford this.
14
15 > optional and not defined in PMS.
16
17 Static deps are also optional and not defined in PMS.
18
19 In fact, PMS makes no claim *where* to read the DEP strings from;
20 it only specified how they are to be stored in the tree.
21
22 Quite the opposite, PMS claims that one cannot rely on
23 anything stored in /var/db