From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:49:23
1 On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:41:16 +0000 (UTC)
2 Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
3 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Dynamics deps are already broken, not consistently enabled (e.g.
5 > > when subslots are in use)
6 >
7 > Just to make it clear: No, dynamic deps are not broken.
8
9 Yes they are.
10
11 > What is broken is that portage does not use them consistently.
12
13 Because using them consistently is impossible by design.
14
15 > It would be a rather bad idea to change policy just because of this
16 > portage bug and force users to permanently do unnecessary
17 > recompilations. At least, for me, it would mean that I have
18 > to change distribution, since I cannot afford this.
19
20 This is not a Portage bug.
21
22 > > optional and not defined in PMS.
23 >
24 > Static deps are also optional and not defined in PMS.
25 >
26 > In fact, PMS makes no claim *where* to read the DEP strings from;
27 > it only specified how they are to be stored in the tree.
28
29 Incorrect.
30
31 > Quite the opposite, PMS claims that one cannot rely on
32 > anything stored in /var/db
33
34 Incorrect.
37 Ciaran McCreesh