From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:42:48
1 On 26/07/14 15:49, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:41:16 +0000 (UTC)
3 > Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
4 >> hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> Dynamics deps are already broken, not consistently enabled (e.g.
6 >>> when subslots are in use)
7 >> Just to make it clear: No, dynamic deps are not broken.
8 > Yes they are.
9
10 We just succesfully converted ~300 ebuilds in tree without revision
11 bumps from virtual/udev[gudev,introspection,static-libs]
12 to virtual/libudev and virtual/libgudev
13 Tested it on multiple boxes, went fine. Nobody has filed bugs at
14 http://bugs.gentoo.org/, nobody has filed a single forums post,
15 nobody has said anything at #gentoo, Freenode
16 Only one person said he had to manually build 2 GNOME related packages,
17 simple-scan and something else
18
19 So, broken? Far from it. More like essential feature.
20
21 People have just listed some known races dynamic deps have, and I take
22 those races anyday over an regression that causes
23 endless rebuilding...
24
25 - Samuli