From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:50:58
1 Samuli Suominen:
2 >
3 > On 26/07/14 15:49, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:41:16 +0000 (UTC)
5 >> Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
6 >>> hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>> Dynamics deps are already broken, not consistently enabled (e.g.
8 >>>> when subslots are in use)
9 >>> Just to make it clear: No, dynamic deps are not broken.
10 >> Yes they are.
11 >
12 > We just succesfully converted ~300 ebuilds in tree without revision
13 > bumps from virtual/udev[gudev,introspection,static-libs]
14 > to virtual/libudev and virtual/libgudev
15 > Tested it on multiple boxes, went fine. Nobody has filed bugs at
16 > http://bugs.gentoo.org/, nobody has filed a single forums post,
17 > nobody has said anything at #gentoo, Freenode
18 > Only one person said he had to manually build 2 GNOME related packages,
19 > simple-scan and something else
20 >
21 > So, broken? Far from it. More like essential feature.
22 >
23 > People have just listed some known races dynamic deps have, and I take
24 > those races anyday over an regression that causes
25 > endless rebuilding...
28 I'm not sure if you realize that you just disabled dynamic deps support
29 on most of those converted ebuilds.