From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:55:46
1 On 7/27/14, 1:42 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > Only one person said he had to manually build 2 GNOME related packages,
3 > simple-scan and something else
4 >
5 > So, broken? Far from it. More like essential feature.
6 >
7 > People have just listed some known races dynamic deps have, and I take
8 > those races anyday over an regression that causes
9 > endless rebuilding...
10
11 I think this really boils down to deciding on the tradeoff between
12 correctness and speed.
13
14 Even the example above shows that with dynamic rebuilds some manual
15 rebuilds were needed, which I interpret as dynamic deps not being correct.
16
17 Static deps go the other way around: they do lead to more rebuilds, and
18 I think no one is denying that. However, they seem more predictable to me.
19
20 Paweł