From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:57:46
1 "Paweł Hajdan, Jr.":
2 > On 7/27/14, 1:42 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> Only one person said he had to manually build 2 GNOME related packages,
4 >> simple-scan and something else
5 >>
6 >> So, broken? Far from it. More like essential feature.
7 >>
8 >> People have just listed some known races dynamic deps have, and I take
9 >> those races anyday over an regression that causes
10 >> endless rebuilding...
11 >
12 > I think this really boils down to deciding on the tradeoff between
13 > correctness and speed.
14 >
15 > Even the example above shows that with dynamic rebuilds some manual
16 > rebuilds were needed, which I interpret as dynamic deps not being correct.
17 >
18 > Static deps go the other way around: they do lead to more rebuilds, and
19 > I think no one is denying that. However, they seem more predictable to me.
20 >
21 > Paweł
24 his argument is pointless, because he got static deps on all those
25 ebuilds now anyway