From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Commented packages in the @system set
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 01:49:21
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 09:21:06 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'm not saying you can completely avoid the need for having some kind
6 >> of bootstrapping stage1. I'm just saying we should separate that need
7 >> from the issue of fully specifying dependencies, at least in an ideal
8 >> world where we're unconcerned with the effort of specifying
9 >> dependencies.
10 >
11 > I think you could partially solve this by having gentoo-built binaries
12 > of things that are needed for bootstrap shipped as sys-devel/gcc-bin,
13 > or similar.
14
15 Well, for gcc that would probably work, though I think it would make
16 more sense to just have a binary package of gcc and not a different
17 package under a different name. I'd actually extend that to other
18 -bin packages we already have, like libreoffice-bin (assuming we build
19 that ourselves). For the case of an upstream binary the distinction
20 is probably worthwhile, but for a package we build ourselves it makes
21 a lot more sense to just let portage build a binary package and
22 install it.
23
24 However, this still wouldn't eliminate the need for a stage1 set
25 because just to install a binary package you do need a small number of
26 components, like portage, bash, glibc, tar, bzip2, and so on.
27
28 I believe the way catalyst works is that it uses the host system to
29 build the stage1 packages and install them into the chroot. Then from
30 there it can run inside the chroot to build stage2 and stage3. All
31 the packages are built fresh, but the stage1 is built in the host
32 environment, not the target environment.
35 Rich