From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Commented packages in the @system set
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 01:27:55
1 On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 09:21:06 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm not saying you can completely avoid the need for having some kind
5 > of bootstrapping stage1. I'm just saying we should separate that need
6 > from the issue of fully specifying dependencies, at least in an ideal
7 > world where we're unconcerned with the effort of specifying
8 > dependencies.
9
10 I think you could partially solve this by having gentoo-built binaries
11 of things that are needed for bootstrap shipped as sys-devel/gcc-bin,
12 or similar.
13
14 Then for dependency cycle breaking on "there is no bootstrap GCC" would
15 fall back to pulling a binary GCC temporarily.
16
17 After all, that's what the stages are isn't it? Aggregates of
18 precompiled binaries in flying formation?