From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A better FTP client with Gentoo enhancements
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:57:43
1 On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 04:28:29PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2 > Bryce Porter wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Ouch... Wget is very lightweight and does an excellent job of what it is
5 > > used for. It is small and simple, and easy to understand. Why fix what
6 > > isn't broken, anyway?
7
8 > I personaly use prozilla for fetching. This tool can find mirrors for a
9 > source and downloads from the fastes one. Additionaly it downloads the
10 > package parallel in portions. I get the maximum download speed most times.
11 > But it has a ugly ncurses based interface. I think Philipe is enhancing our
12 > fetch function at the moment. And we decided to use prozilla for default.
13 > wget does a good job in most cases, but here it sometimes hangs after
14 > downloading a big source and I must CTRL-C it.
15
16 It looks like we need a virtual/download category... :) ...remember everyone,
17 it is *very* easy to select a different download app for Portage.
20 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
21 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
22 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.