From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 49 - take 2
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:13:11
1 On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 02:59:03PM +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Monday 22 May 2006 10:47, Thomas Cort wrote:
3 > > I definitely agree that Gentoo needs a team of people to deal with the
4 > > primary package manager, it is one of the most important tools in a
5 > > Linux system. It is especially important in Gentoo where the package
6 > > manager is, at this point in time, required to install a standard
7 > > desktop system. I disagree that the package manager needs to be
8 > > directly maintained by Gentoo. Since Gentoo will never depend upon a
9 > > piece of non-Free software[1], it is safe to assume that the package
10 > > manager is Free software (aka open source). Because of this, we will
11 > > never be locked-in, helpless, or under the control of an external
12 > > project. If we dislike the direction in which it is going or want to
13 > > add our own features, then we are free to do so either by submitting
14 > > patches upstream, adding our own custom gentoo patches to the stock
15 > > sources, or by forking the project entirely.
16 > >
17 <snip>
18 >
19 > First of all, I'm in limbo on this. Certainly not dead set against it. If
20 > this were to be used, I'd like to add the following line: "At least 1 of
21 > these three must be actively involved in the development of the package
22 > manager".
23 >
24 > Could others please provide input on this question.
25 >
26 > Regardless on the decision on this item there is no restriction of
27 > non-gentoo developers participating in the developement of the package
28 > manager.
29
30 Intention is likely more along the lines of "the format/standards will
31 be controlled by gentoo" rather then "primary must be hosted on gentoo
32 hardware"- if that's the case, maybe phrase it more along those lines.
33
34 ~harring